Article 127 — (ex Article 105 TEC)
- The primary objective of the European System of Central Banks (hereinafter referred to as ‘►C1 the ESCB◄’) shall be to maintain price stability. Without prejudice to the objective of price stability, the ESCB shall support the general economic policies in the Union with a view to contributing to the achievement of the objectives of the Union as laid down in Article 3 of the Treaty on European Union. The ESCB shall act in accordance with the principle of an open market economy with free competition, favouring an efficient allocation of resources, and in compliance with the principles set out in Article 119.
- The basic tasks to be carried out through the ESCB shall be:—to define and implement the monetary policy of the Union,—to conduct foreign-exchange operations consistent with the provisions of Article 219,—to hold and manage the official foreign reserves of the Member States,—to promote the smooth operation of payment systems.
- The third indent of paragraph 2 shall be without prejudice to the holding and management by the governments of Member States of foreign-exchange working balances.
- The European Central Bank shall be consulted:—on any proposed Union act in its fields of competence,—
The European Central Bank may submit opinions to the appropriate Union institutions, bodies, offices or agencies or to national authorities on matters in its fields of competence.
- The ESCB shall contribute to the smooth conduct of policies pursued by the competent authorities relating to the prudential supervision of credit institutions and the stability of the financial system.
- The Council, acting by means of regulations in accordance with a special legislative procedure, may unanimously, and after consulting the European Parliament and the European Central Bank, confer specific tasks upon the European Central Bank concerning policies relating to the prudential supervision of credit institutions and other financial institutions with the exception of insurance undertakings.