COUNCIL DECISION (CFSP) 2022/24
of 10 January 2022
amending Decision (CFSP) 2019/1720 concerning restrictive measures in view of the situation in Nicaragua
THE COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION,
- Having regard to the Treaty on European Union, and in particular Article 29 thereof,
- Having regard to the proposal from the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy,
- On 14 October 2019, the Council adopted Decision (CFSP) 2019/1720(1), concerning restrictive measures in view of the situation in Nicaragua.
- On 8 November 2021, the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy (the High Representative) issued a declaration on behalf of the Union in which he underlined that the elections held in Nicaragua on 7 November 2021 have taken place without democratic guarantees and their results lack legitimacy. He declared that the Nicaraguan Government has deprived the people of Nicaragua of the civil and political right to vote in a credible, inclusive, fair and transparent election, as well of their freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly. The High Representative indicated that the Union stands ready to consider all instruments at its disposal, including additional restrictive measures.
- In view of the continuing grave situation in Nicaragua, seven individuals and three entities should be included in the list of natural and legal persons, entities and bodies subject to restrictive measures set out in the Annex to Decision (CFSP) 2019/1720.
- The Annex to Decision (CFSP) 2019/1720 should therefore be amended accordingly,
HAS ADOPTED THIS DECISION: