Article 8 — COVID-19 certificates and other documentation issued by a third country
- Where a vaccination certificate has been issued in a third country for a COVID-19 vaccine that corresponds to one of the COVID-19 vaccines referred to Article 5(5) and the authorities of a Member State have been provided with all the necessary information, including reliable proof of vaccination, those authorities may, upon request, issue a vaccination certificate as referred to in point (a) of Article 3(1) to the person concerned. A Member State shall not be required to issue a vaccination certificate for a COVID-19 vaccine that is not authorised for use on its territory.
- The Commission may adopt an implementing act establishing that COVID-19 certificates issued by a third country in accordance with standards and technological systems that are interoperable with the trust framework for the EU Digital COVID Certificate and that allow for the verification of the authenticity, validity and integrity of the certificate, and which contain the data set out in the Annex, are to be considered as equivalent to certificates issued by Member States in accordance with this Regulation, for the purpose of facilitating the holders’ exercise of their right to free movement within the Union.
Before adopting such an implementing act, the Commission shall assess whether COVID-19 certificates issued by the third country fulfil the conditions set out in the first subparagraph.
The implementing act referred to in the first subparagraph of this paragraph shall be adopted in accordance with the examination procedure referred to in Article 14(2).
The Commission shall make the list of implementing acts adopted pursuant to this paragraph publicly available.
- The acceptance by the Member States of the certificates referred to in this Article shall be subject to Article 5(5), Article 6(5) and Article 7(8).
- Where Member States accept vaccination certificates issued by a third country for a COVID-19 vaccine as referred to in the second subparagraph of Article 5(5), they shall also accept, under the same conditions, vaccination certificates issued by other Member States in accordance with this Regulation for the same COVID-19 vaccine.
- This Article shall apply to COVID-19 certificates and other documentation issued by the overseas countries and territories referred to in Article 355(2) TFEU and listed in Annex II thereto, and by the Faroe Islands. It shall not apply to COVID-19 certificates and other documentation issued in the overseas countries and territories referred to in Article 355(2) TFEU and listed in Annex II thereto, or in the Faroe Islands on behalf of a Member State.