Article 46 — Risk-mitigation techniques
- The use of risk-mitigation techniques shall ensure that the investment strategy for the PEPP is designed in order to build up a stable and adequate individual future retirement income from the PEPP and to ensure a fair treatment of all generations of PEPP savers.
All risk-mitigation techniques, whether applied under the Basic PEPP or for the alternative investment options, shall be sound, robust and consistent with the risk profile of the corresponding investment option.
- The applicable risk-mitigation techniques may include, inter alia, provisions:
- for gradually adapting the investment allocation to mitigate the financial risks of investments for cohorts corresponding to the remaining duration (life-cycling);
- establishing reserves from contributions or investment returns, which shall be allocated to PEPP savers in a fair and transparent manner, to mitigate investment losses; or
- for using appropriate guarantees to protect against investment losses.
- In order to ensure the consistent application of this Article, EIOPA shall, after consulting the other ESAs, and after conducting industry testing, develop draft regulatory technical standards specifying the minimum criteria that the risk-mitigation techniques have to satisfy, taking into account the various types of PEPPs and their specific features, as well as the various types of PEPP providers and the differences between their prudential regime.
EIOPA shall submit those draft regulatory technical standards to the Commission by 15 August 2020.
Power is delegated to the Commission to supplement this Regulation by adopting the regulatory technical standards referred to in the first subparagraph in accordance with Articles 10 to 14 of Regulation (EU) No 1094/2010.