COUNCIL DECISION (EU) 2015/438
of 2 March 2015
establishing the position to be taken on behalf of the European Union within the Joint Committee set up under the Agreement between the European Union and Ukraine on the facilitation of the issuance of visas, with regard to the adoption of common guidelines for the implementation of the Agreement
THE COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION,
- Having regard to the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, and in particular point (a) of Article 77(2) in conjunction with Article 218(9) thereof,
- Having regard to the proposal from the European Commission,
- Article 12 of the Agreement between the European Union and Ukraine on the facilitation of the issuance of visas(1) (the Agreement) sets up a Joint Committee. It provides that the Joint Committee is in particular to monitor the implementation of the Agreement.
- The Agreement between the European Union and Ukraine amending the Agreement between the European Community and Ukraine on the facilitation of the issuance of visas(2) (the amending Agreement) entered into force on 1 July 2013.
- Regulation (EC) No 810/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council(3) established the procedures and conditions for issuing visas for transit through or intended stays on the territory of the Member States not exceeding 90 days in any 180-day period.
- Within its responsibility, the Joint Committee noted the need for common guidelines in order to ensure a fully harmonised implementation of the Agreement amongst the consulates of the Member States, and for clarifying the relationship between the provisions of the Agreement and the provisions of the contracting parties that continue to apply to visa issues not covered by the Agreement.
- The Joint Committee adopted such guidelines on 25 November 2009 by its Decision No 1/2009. Those guidelines should be adapted to the new provisions of the Agreement introduced by the amending Agreement and to the changes in Union internal law on visa policy. In the interests of clarity it is appropriate to replace those guidelines.
- It is appropriate to establish the position to be adopted on the Union's behalf within the Joint Committee with regard to the adoption of common guidelines for the implementation of the Agreement,
HAS ADOPTED THIS DECISION: