Article 33 — Protection of personal data for law enforcement purposes
- Each Member State shall provide that the provisions adopted under national law implementing Framework Decision 2008/977/JHA are also applicable to the processing of personal data by its national authorities for the purposes laid down in Article 1(2) of this Regulation.
- The monitoring of the lawfulness of the processing of personal data under this Regulation by the Member States for the purposes laid down in Article 1(2) of this Regulation, including their transmission to and from Eurodac, shall be carried out by the national supervisory authorities designated pursuant to Framework Decision 2008/977/JHA.
- The processing of personal data by Europol pursuant to this Regulation shall be in accordance with Decision 2009/371/JHA and shall be supervised by an independent external data protection supervisor. Articles 30, 31 and 32 of that Decision shall be applicable to the processing of personal data by Europol pursuant to this Regulation. The independent external data protection supervisor shall ensure that the rights of the individual are not violated.
- Personal data obtained pursuant to this Regulation from Eurodac for the purposes laid down in Article 1(2) shall only be processed for the purposes of the prevention, detection or investigation of the specific case for which the data have been requested by a Member State or by Europol.
- The Central System, the designated and verifying authorities and Europol shall keep records of the searches for the purpose of permitting the national data protection authorities and the European Data Protection Supervisor to monitor the compliance of data processing with Union data protection rules, including for the purpose of maintaining records in order to prepare the annual reports referred to in Article 40(7). Other than for such purposes, personal data, as well as the records of the searches, shall be erased in all national and Europol files after a period of one month, unless the data are required for the purposes of the specific ongoing criminal investigation for which they were requested by a Member State or by Europol.