Article 4 — Objectives
The Community shall promote gas and electricity infrastructure projects having the highest Community added value and contributing to the following objectives:
- security and diversification of sources of energy, routes and supplies;
- the optimisation of the capacity of the energy network and the integration of the internal energy market, in particular concerning cross-border sections;
- the development of the network to strengthen economic and social cohesion by reducing the isolation of the least favoured regions or islands of the Community;
- the connection and integration of renewable energy resources; and
- the safety, reliability and interoperability of interconnected energy networks, including the ability to use multidirectional gas flows where necessary.