Article 5 — Marking and the EC declaration of conformity
- Before a product covered by implementing measures is placed on the market and/or put into service, a CE marking shall be affixed and an EC declaration of conformity issued whereby the manufacturer or its authorised representative ensures and declares that the product complies with all relevant provisions of the applicable implementing measure.
- The CE marking consists of the initials CE as shown in Annex III.
- The EC declaration of conformity shall contain the elements specified in Annex VI and shall refer to the appropriate implementing measure.
- The affixing of markings on a product which are likely to mislead users as to the meaning or form of the CE marking shall be prohibited.
- Member States may require the information to be supplied pursuant to Annex I, Part 2 to be in their official language(s) when the product reaches the end-user.
Member States shall also authorise the provision of this information in one or more other official languages of the institutions of the European Union.
When applying the first subparagraph, Member States shall take into account in particular:
- whether the information can be supplied by harmonised symbols or recognised codes or other measures; and
- the type of user anticipated for the product and the nature of the information which is to be provided.