- The sponsor's family members shall be entitled, in the same way as the sponsor, to:
- access to education;
- access to employment and self-employed activity;
- access to vocational guidance, initial and further training and retraining.
- Member States may decide according to national law the conditions under which family members shall exercise an employed or self-employed activity. These conditions shall set a time limit which shall in no case exceed 12 months, during which Member States may examine the situation of their labour market before authorising family members to exercise an employed or self-employed activity.
- Member States may restrict access to employment or self-employed activity by first-degree relatives in the direct ascending line or adult unmarried children to whom Article 4(2) applies.