Decision No 1346/2001/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 May 2001 amending Decision No 1692/96/EC as regards seaports, inland ports and intermodal terminals as well as project No 8 in Annex III
Official Journal L 185 , 06/07/2001 P. 0001 - 0036
Decision No 1346/2001/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council
of 22 May 2001
amending Decision No 1692/96/EC as regards seaports, inland ports and intermodal terminals as well as project No 8 in Annex III
THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND THE COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION,
Having regard to the Treaty establishing the European Community, and in particular the first subparagraph of Article 156 thereof,
Having regard to the proposal from the Commission(1),
Having regard to the opinion of the Economic and Social Committee(2),
Having regard to the opinion of the Committee of the Regions(3),
Acting in accordance with the procedure laid down in Article 251 of the Treaty(4), in the light of the joint text approved by the Conciliation Committee on 13 March 2001,
- Decision No 1692/96/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 July 1996 on Community guidelines for the development of the trans-European transport network(5) constitutes a general reference framework covering the objectives, priorities and broad thrust of the measures contemplated as well as the projects of common interest in the area of the trans-European transport network.
- Interconnection points including seaports, inland ports and intermodal terminals are a pre-condition for the integration of the different transport modes in a multimodal network.
- Seaports in the trans-European transport network are classified into categories. These are defined on the basis of quantitative criteria or their location in island, peripheral or outermost regions. Only those ports in the highest category by volume of traffic should be shown, by way of indication, on maps. The specifications which a seaport project is to meet to be deemed of common interest should be set out.
- The criteria relating to inland ports should be supplemented by criteria concerning either the nature of their equipment or the volume of traffic and those ports should be shown, by way of indication, on maps.
- The European Council held in Dublin in 1996 decided that project No 8 in the list from the Essen European Council of 1994 should become the Portugal/Spain multimodal link with the rest of Europe.
- Decision No 1692/96/EC should therefore be amended accordingly,
HAVE ADOPTED THIS DECISION: